Right Click Disabled

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Top 5 photo galleries in NYC

There are many things that make New York amazing. Having a number of great photo galleries is certainly one of them. I haven't been to all the great galleries in New York yet. However, I can recommend some of the best galleries (I think) for those who want to go gallery hopping in the city.

These are the list of galleries I think are amazing, and therefore, I recommend to you.

MOMA
1. Museum of Modern Art (MOMA)

Location: 11W. 53rd St.

Of all the galleries I have been to in NYC, MOMA is my all time favorite. You can enjoy a wide range of photographs, paintings, and sculptures from the 19th and the 20th century, as well as contemporary arts and films. They always present interesting exhibitions and events, and I always get fresh inspirations every time I visit there.




2. International Center of photography

Location: 1133 6th Ave. 43rd St.
International Center of Photography

International Center of photography is located in the center of Midtown (5 min from our NYU building). I like that they display a wide variety of black and white photos and documentary photos. The scale of the gallery is relatively small, but they have quality exhibitions and education programs. At the gift shop in the gallery are there cameras,gifts, and camera accessories etc. Donation admission is available on Fridays between 5-8 pm.




3. Metropolitan Museum of Art

Metropolitan Museum of Art

Location: 1000 5th Ave. 82nd St.


Ever since the Met acquired the Howard Gillman Collection of 19th- and 20th-century photographs(the largest such collection in private hands), the museum became a serious place to view photos. I have visited their more than three times so far, but they never disappoint me, and I am always impressed by their scale.










4. Christopher Henry Gallery


Location: 127 Elizabeth St.


Christopher Henry Gallery is in a renovated church. The gallery displays emerging contemporary art. I especially like their Polaroid photography and street art.


5. Aperture Foundation Gallery


Location: 547 W 27th St.


Like MoMA, Aperture was a pioneer in promoting fine-art photography.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm usually not a big fan of art museums but I remember having a pleasant time in the MOMA several years back on my vacation in NYC. I was actually surprised that even just rambling around was fun looking at the displays there. Especially the photos and sculptures with such audacity and style with a touch of humour were certainly fascinating. I even ended up visiting a few more museums and art galleries after that delightful experience including the MET, which is also on your list. I've been enjoying your posts quite a lot. Thanks for the nice flashback! :)

Unknown said...

Haha I am glad you had a great time at the MOMA. They have changed somewhat in the past couple of years. You should come and visit there again. They have so much to offer :)